Hair that has been damaged from dye, bleach, heat styling, and other chemicals is prone to frizz, breakage, and split ends, which can make it hard to spot the difference. The thing to remember is that protein overload in your hair doesn’t happen as the result of a high-protein diet or other lifestyle choices.
How do you know if your hair has too much protein?
Know the signs of Protein Buildup:
- Your hair snaps off more easily.
- Your hair feels straw-like and stiff.
- Your hair is unusually dry, lifeless, and brittle.
- No longer has natural shine/luster that it used to have.
- More tangles and strands that look “angry’
What happens if you give your hair too much protein?
If there is too much protein deposited in the hair it loses elasticity. It becomes stiff, rigid, and therefore more susceptible to breakage under lesser amount of tension. Combine this with already damaged hair and it is a recipe for disaster.”
Is protein good for bleached hair?
Do a protein treatment a day or two BEFORE your hair appointment, this will help protect your hair from possible bleach damage and retain your new hair color. Try the at home Hair Strengthening Kit, it only takes 15-20 minutes to do.
Can too much protein in hair products cause hair loss?
If your hair is experiencing protein overload, this can lead to loss of shine. You may find that your hair colour looks a bit off or that it simply looks dull. Too much protein in your hair is definitely one of the main causes of loss of shine and it can sometimes happen quite rapidly.
How long does protein overload last?
How To Recover: In order to recover from protein overload you are going to have to take very precise steps in your regimen and it will not be an over night process. It actually can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months depending on how severe the protein overload is.
How do you fix protein overload?
Protein Overload – What is it and How do you Fix It?
- Lay off of Protein Treatments For A While.
- Use a Clarifying Shampoo.
- Use a Deep Conditioner.
- Balance protein with moisture.
- Choose the Right Products Moving Forward.
- Reading Ingredients Labels.
Does Olaplex 3 have protein?
Olaplex is NOT a moisturizing deep conditioner or a protein treatment. Olaplex does contain some protein, but not enough to be considered a hard protein treatment. … The main goals of Olaplex No 3 is to strengthen the structure of the hair and improve the overall look and feel.
How do you reverse protein overload on natural hair?
How to Treat Protein Overload in your Hair
- Check all your product labels and do not use them if they contain protein.
- Use a clarifying shampoo for protein overload to remove buildup. …
- Use a moisturizing shampoo on a regular basis, or try co-washing with your favorite conditioner.
Can I do a protein treatment after Olaplex?
Protein treatments can be used in between your Olaplex treatments. … Olaplex does not harden the hair and you are free to follow up with any conditioner of your choice after you rinse out Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector, which is to be used at home.