The pubic area is a common place for folliculitis to occur because of shaving, moisture, and friction from tight clothing or sports equipment, such as a jock strap. Poorly chlorinated hot tubs and whirlpools also increase your risk of a type of folliculitis referred to as “hot tub folliculitis.”
How do I get rid of folliculitis in my pubic area?
Genital folliculitis treatment
- Creams or pills to control infection — Your health care provider may prescribe an antibiotic cream for mild cases. …
- Creams, shampoos, or pills for fungal infections — Antifungals are for infections caused by yeast rather than bacteria.
Why do I keep getting folliculitis on my pubic area?
Folliculitis is most often caused by an infection of hair follicles with Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria. Folliculitis may also be caused by viruses, fungi and even an inflammation from ingrown hairs.
Does shaving help with folliculitis?
Avoidance of shaving or using trimmers can help. If the problem is persistent, you should see a dermatologist as this can lead to scarring. Sycosis barbae: Sycosis barbae is a severe, potentially scarring form of shaving-related folliculitis. The entire hair follicle is infected, resulting in large red pustules.
What STD can cause folliculitis?
Herpes simplex virus, the virus that causes cold sores, can cause folliculitis. This is an uncommon form of folliculitis.
How long does folliculitis last for?
Mild folliculitis usually heals on its own in about 2 weeks. You can take care of yourself at home with: A warm compress. This may ease itching and help healing.
Can a yeast infection cause folliculitis?
Pityrosporum folliculitis is caused by a yeast infection on your skin, and usually affects teenagers and young adults. Also called “Malassezia folliculitis”, this kind of folliculitis occurs when yeast molecules of the genus Malassezia get into your hair follicles and multiply, creating an acne-like rash on your skin.
What is the fastest way to cure folliculitis?
- A warm, moist compress can help soothe soreness, swelling, and pain. …
- Aloe vera gel may help heal the skin faster. …
- You can find hydrogen peroxide in the first aid aisle of your local pharmacy. …
- Over-the-counter antibiotic creams, gels, and ointments may help clear up a small patch of folliculitis.
What is the best cream for folliculitis?
What is the best medication for folliculitis?
|Best medication for folliculitis|
|Cortizone-10 (hydrocortisone cream)||Over-the-counter corticosteroid||Topical|