Deep conditioners are one of my favorite types of hair products to purchase. For me, a great deep conditioner helps set my hair on right track. Deep conditioning can make or break my hair routine. Lately, my beloved Hairveda Sitrinillah has been difficult to find. Plus, I heard that the formulation has changed. I don’t know if the change will affect my hair. I’ve been looking for a replacement for some time. So, I used this opportunity to test a few of them.
For this battle, I compared 4 conditioners: Organics by Africa’s Best Cholesterol Tea-Tree Oil Conditioner, African Naturalistas Deep Conditioning Mayonnaise, Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Intensive Repair Deep Treatment Masque, African Pride Olive Miracle Anti-Breakage Formula Deep Conditioning Treatment.
I used each conditioner on a section of my hair after shampooing. It was left on for 30 minutes with heat.
I placed the newer conditioners (Cantu and African Pride) on sections of my hair that have issues staying moisturized. Plus, I have used the other conditioners before so I have an idea about how my hair responds to them.
After deep conditioning, I rinsed and styled as usual. This instance I used curl formers to stretch my hair.
Here are some of the things I noted throughout the process.
- African Pride – had a very strong scent. Reminds me of a braid spray I used to use, very slippery
- Cantu – very thick and hard to spread. smells like other Cantu products
- African Naturalistas – thick and creamy, easy to spread
- Organics – Light and has slip. Not a great scent
- African Naturalistas felt like it absorbed the most and was very soft
- Organics felt like it coated my hair
- Cantu sat on top of my hair could still see white,
- African Pride felt slippery and soft.
After rinse and leave ins.
- African Pride dried out the fastest.
- Cantu and African Naturalistas felt the most moisturized.
- Organics felt like it had a film/coating. Maybe I did not rinse it well enough.
Curlformer take down
Each section felt soft, organics felt a bit coated
- The African Pride section felt the driest
- African Naturalistas felt the most moisturized but the back tends to retain moisture well.
- Cantu felt moisturized too.
- Organics still felt coated.
I got the best results from the Cantu and African Naturalistas conditioners. Even though it has some protein, I will likely stick with the African Naturalsistas conditioner, since I have a full container. If I run out, I can also use Cantu.