Thankfully, my hair is doing alright these days. At 28 weeks post this is my longest stretch and it’s still going strong. I’m not sure if I want to transition yet. You’ll know when I know. My hair felt very soft throughout the week. I didn’t need to moisturize that much. It was a bit too soft for my liking so I knew it was time for some protein. I also wanted to start up with my monthly trims. My ends felt better when I was doing it for several months. I’m not sure why I slacked off but I’m back at it again. Here’s what went down this wash day . . .
(1) Pre-poo and detangling: The previous night, I soaked a spoonful of fenugreek powder in water and it more than doubled in size. I still noticed that there were some clumps but it was slippery. I mixed it with honey and olive oil using a whisk. I applied the mixture to my scalp and rubbed it in.
I added warmed oil to the length of my hair and allowed it to stay for 20 minutes, covered. Then, I detangled with my seamless comb. A residue formed when I was detangling. I think it was from the oil and mucilage from the fenugreek. I braided my hair loosely in 8 braids.
(2) Shampoo and Coffee rinse: I rinsed the pre-poo thoroughly and washed twice with ORS Neutralizing Shampoo. My new massaging shampoo brush made its debut this wash day. If you ever watch any hair vloggers on the YT, you may have seen this one. It’s very relaxing and I almost forgot I was in the shower. My scalp felt clean too. I noticed a broken hair in the brush bristles after my shampoo so I need to be careful next time. I did a coffee rinse and I didn’t rinse it out. I allowed it to dry in a t-shirt for about 5 minutes.
(3) Protein treatment: After my hair dried a bit, I applied the Aphogee 2 minute Keratin Reconstructor and left in on my hair for 5 minutes. Rinsed it out and towel dried for 10 minutes.
(4) Deep Conditioning: I used my trusty Hairveda Sitrinillah to help bring back the moisture. I used cling film to over my hair and sat with my conditioning cap for 30 minutes. Rinsed it out with cool water, then I did an ACV rinse + final cold rinse. Please sisters and brothers . . . where can I find Heinz ACV in this Lagos? My usual places are out of it. 😥 I used a t-shirt to dry for 20 minutes
(5) Leave ins and Styling: I applied my African Naturalistas Leave-in and Giovanni Direct Leave-in to each braid. Then I sealed it in with my oil mix. I roller set my hair and dried it for an hour on medium heat. I left the rollers in overnight and the next morning. While taking out each roller, I trimmed a bit at the ends and pin curled the section. Later in the day, I pinned my hair in an up do.
Unfortunately, the fenugreek still gets stuck in my new growth but this time there was some mucilage to get rid of most of it. The comb did the rest. Next wash day, I want to try a different style and hopefully it can last longer than a day. *fingers crossed* I’m trying to decide between curlformers, perm rods, or a braidout. I’m leaning towards the perm rods. It’s been a while since I tried it.
How was your wash day?
For more wash day posts, check out the Wash Day Experience.