Two consecutive wash day posts . . . I’m getting better, right? 🙂 This wash day was all about preparing my hair for my relaxer later this week. For me, the best way to prepare for my relaxer is to do a hard protein treatment.
(1) Using 4 sections, I sprayed Mane n’ Tail detangler and combed with a wide tooth comb. Pre-poo: I coated my hair with coconut oil and over that I applied Organics by Africa’s Best Cholesterol Tea-Tree Conditioner mixed with olive oil and glycerin. I wrapped my hair with cling film and used my heating cap for 20 minutes. I didn’t use anything on my scalp because I didn’t want it overly stimulated or irritated. If my scalp is too irritated, it could cause burns on my scalp when I relax my hair.
(2) Washed twice with ORS Neutralizing Shampoo and towel dried for ~5 minutes.
(3) Applied Step 1 of the Aphogee Two-Step Protein treatment to my hair in sections. After I applied the treatment to each section, I combed it with my wide-tooth comb to further distribute the product. Once it was applied throughout my hair, I pinned my hair up and sat under the dryer. The treatment dried in about 15 minutes.
(4) Once the treatment dried, I rinsed it out with warm water. I made sure that I didn’t agitate my hair until it was softened. Dried with a t-shirt for a few minutes. Applied Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer (step 2) and kept it on for 5 minutes. Rinsed with warm water and towel dried for 10 minutes.
(5) Deep conditioned with Hairveda Sitrinillah. I covered my hair with cling film and sat under my heating cap for 40 minutes.
(6) Rinsed with warm water and detangled in the shower. Used cool water for the last rinse and I also did an ACV rinse. I kept in on for a few minutes and then rinsed with cold water.
(7) Dried with a t-shirt for 10 minutes and applied my leave-ins (Infusium 23 and Giovanni Direct Leave-in). I detangled again and allowed my hair to air-dry overnight.
(8) The next day, I moisturized my hair with my Hairveda Red Tea Moisturizer and sealed with my hemp seed and coconut oil mix. Then, I attempted a flat twist protective style. I’m gettig better with flat twisting but one side usually turns out better than the other. Any tips on how to make it consistent on both sides?
I noticed some breakage towards the front of my hair. That section is always prone to breakage. I may incorporate more protein in my regimen to help with that. I’ve noticed Divachyk of Relaxed Thairapy, Sharday of The Awkward Stage and Sunshyne of Hairlicious are all using protein more often without any issues. I’ve never experienced protein overload before and my hair seems to react well to protein. We will see how it goes.
This Friday will be my relaxer day. I think I have a love-hate relationship with the relaxer process, like Dr. Fomsky. My reasons are slightly different, however. I like the results but I don’t like the steps to get there. It takes too long. 🙁 I hope that I have retained some length. I have quite a bit a new growth. It feels like I’m over 4 months post in some parts but I’m just a bit over 3 months post. I think the Perfectil is the major contributor to the increase in growth. My diet and exercise routine haven’t changed much so I don’t think it’s from either of those. Expect a complete update some time next week.
How was your wash day?