Yemi over at Great Lengths tagged me to participate in the #LetsGrow2015 mini-challenge. This month’s theme is “Something New” so I decided to try my perm rods that were sitting in the back of my closet.
My hair was very soft this week, leaning towards over-moisturization. I even noticed some breakage in the front section. The same section that I proudly showed in my Edge and Nape update. 🙁 Some people don’t need to worry about protein so much. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. I definitely need to pay attention to how my hair is behaving. Normally, I would do my protein treatments once a month. So I was due for one in early Feb. My hair said no and I had to do it this week. Here’s how it went.
(1) Sectioned hair into 4 detangled with 2 combs
(2) Pre-poo/Hot Oil Treatment with warmed olive oil, coconut oil, and honey. Covered my hair with a plastic cap and kept on without heat for 30 minutes.
(3) Rinsed out pre-poo and shampooed with ORS Neutralizing Shampoo (1x) and Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo (1x). Towel dried for 5 minutes
(4) Apply Aphogee Keratin 2 minute Reconstructor for ~5 minutes. Rinsed
(5) Deep conditioned with Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning treatment + leftover pre-poo + castor oil. Covered with a plastic cap and stayed under the dryer for 30 minutes with medium heat.
(6) Rinsed with cool water and followed with an ACV rinse.
(7) Towel dried for 15 minutes. Applied leave-ins (Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer). Detangled each section and applied oil mix (hemp seed and coconut oils)
(8) Set hair with perm rods. Dried for 1 hour under the hooded dryer and left them in overnight.
Using the perm rods was a STRUGGLE. I could not get them tight to the scalp. With roller sets using magnetic rollers, I need to have the ends smooth on the roller and the roller tight to the scalp. If it’s not tight, puffy roots here I come. I used some flexi-rods towards the back of my head and I was able to get those tight. I was also worried that it wouldn’t dry on time. Luckily, my hair was dry in the morning.
The curls were very tight. I thought I looked like little orphan Annie. Not the one with Quvenzhané Wallis. The one from the 80’s.
I didn’t get pics of when I separated the curls because I was rushing for work in the morning. I ended up just pinning it up and wearing it like that.
My hair felt much stronger and not as stretchy. It’s also very moisturized. So apart from the curls, this wash day went pretty well.
Have you used perm rods before? Any tips or best practices?