I really had high hopes for this wash day. It started out pretty well but ended in a not so great place. 🙁 I decided to try my luck again with my Shea Moisture Transitioning Kit.
Here’s how it went . . .
(1) Pre-poo: Scalp massage with neem oil, JBCO, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus essential oil. Hot oil treatment with hemp seed oil and coconut oil. Covered with cling film and kept under heat for 30 minutes.
(2) Washed with diluted shampoo. For the first wash, I used ORS Neutralizing Shampoo because I had some build up from my co-wash last week. For the second wash, I used Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo. I diluted the shampoo in an applicator bottle.
(3) Rinse with instant coffee, hibiscus powder and glycerine. (2 tsp coffee, 1 tsp hibiscus, 2 tsp glycerine). The hibiscus left some residue in my hair so I washed out with it Shea moisture. Next time, I will use a sieve/strainer to get rid of any excess powder.
(4) Applied Shea Moisture deep treatment masque mixed with 2 tsp of olive and castor oil. Wrapped with cling film and kept under heat for 30 minutes. My hair still felt stiff and rough after rinsing. I used ORS Replenishing Conditioner and Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle conditioner to help smooth things out. It didn’t really help.
(5) ACV rinse and dried with a t-shirt for 20 minutes.
(6) Applied leave-ins: Infusium 23 and Giovanni Direct Leave-in. Then, applied Mane n’ Tail detangler to each section.
(7) Detangled with 2 combs. While detangling, I noticed some residue. I think the combination of the vinegar and the conditioner caused it. 🙁
(8) I knew if I decided to roller set the residue would be all over and hard to get out. So, I decided to tension blow dry with cool air. After my hair was dry, I applied JBCO + tea tree oil + eucalyptus oil on my scalp. My ends felt really dry so I added more Giovanni Direct Leave-in then I sealed my hair with hemp seed oil and coconut oil.
I don’t really like air drying my hair When I air dry my hair loose, my ends feel terribly dry and my hair doesn’t really retain moisture. It feels quite dry the next day. My new growth also clumps up which leads to detangling problems down the line.
I have to give up on the Deep Treatment Masque. It makes my hair feel worse. Most of the reviews I’ve seen are either really good or quite bad. Have you had a good experience with this conditioner?
My plan is to co-wash and deep condition very soon (like tomorrow) and use my staple products for my next wash day. No more experiments for a while.
On another note, thanks for all the comments about my breakage on my last wash day post. I have noticed a few more shed hair than broken ones. However, there are still some broken hairs. So, I will focus on moisture for the next few weeks.
How was your wash day?
To read more healthy hair wash day posts, check out The Wash Day Experience.