What’s good, people? As I mentioned during my last wash day post, I’ve noticed more breakage than usual. To address this, I devised a plan of attack.
- Incorporate co-washing.
- Deep condition 2x a week.
- Moisturize daily.
My hair feels quite moist and I was still noticing breakage. As a last resort, I planned to do a hard protein treatment with Aphogee 2-step protein treatment. I realized the last time I did this treatment was 6 months ago (May). 😯 I think I avoided it for a few reasons. (1) It was out of sight for a while. Hidden in the stash. (2) It smells TERRIBLE. (3) It’s very messy (4) Did I mention the smell? 😮
Here’s how my latest wash day played out.
(1) Sectioned my hair into 4 and finger detangled. I didn’t pre-poo because I wanted to clarify my hair and it was a bit oily. I’m not sure if I did it correctly. I just tried to remove any tangles and remove any shed hair. I didn’t lose much hair. Could it be in my future?
(2) Washed twice with ORS Neutralizing Shampoo.
(3) Towel dried for 5 minutes. Applied step 1 of the Aphogee 2-step treatment. Combed through with a wide-tooth comb to distribute.
(4) Sat under my hooded dryer for 20 minutes with medium heat. My the treatment was mostly dried after ~10 minutes.
(5) Rinsed out with warm water. I made sure not to agitate my hair until the water fully rinsed out the excess treatment.
(6) Towel dried and applied the Balancing Moisturizer (step 2). Kept this on for 5 minutes and then rinsed out.
(7) Towel dried and applied my deep conditioner mix (KeraCare Humecto, Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment, oilve oil, and castor oil). Wrapped with cling film and used my heating cap for 45 minutes.
(8) Rinsed with cool water and dried with a t-shirt for ~10 minutes. Sectioned into 4 and applied leave-ins (Giovanni Direct and Infusium 23).
(9) Applied Mane n’ Tail detangler to each section and detangled with a wide-tooth comb. Applied coconut oil to each section.
(10) Roller set and air-dried over night. It still wasn’t dry by the morning so I sat under the dryer for 30 minutes on medium/high heat.
After the treatment, my hair felt like it had much more weight to it. It also felt stronger. 🙂 I can’t really judge if the breakage has reduced. I need a bit more time to assess. However, my hair stayed moisturized for a full day which almost never happens. KLP of Saving Our Strands has a great post about how she uses protein to help retain length. My hair is medium/fine and it seems to accept protein well. I think if I follow these tips it will help me keep my length. 🙂 I put a bunch of reminders in my phone to let me know when I need to do my protein treatments. I tend to forget. The blog helps me remember, like a hair jounral. 🙂
What types of protein treatment do you use? Do you use hard protein treatments?
To read more healthy hair wash day posts, check out The Wash Day Experience.