Happy Nigerian Independence Day! Hope you are enjoying the public holiday! This wash day is a bit different because I did co-wash. I haven’t co-washed my hair in months and I only used 3 products. 😯 Even though it was pretty simple, there were some hiccups along the way. Here’s how it went.
(1) Sectioned hair into 4 and detangled each section with a wide tooth comb
(2) Wet hair and applied Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner to each section. Kept it on for about 10 minutes.
(3) Rinsed and repeated step 2 but I didn’t keep the conditioner on for as long. I just left it on for about a minute. I intended to use Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner but I put it on a section and it felt odd. It felt like my hair would start to tangle and a bit stiff. There wasn’t much slip not as much as the Trader Joe’s conditioner.
(4) Dried with a t-shirt for about 15 minutes.
(5) Applied leave-ins (Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-in Conditioner) and combed through with wide tooth comb
(6) Sectioned into 4 and but each section into a bun. Left to air dry.
(7) After a few hours, I applied castor oil mixed with tea tree and eucalyptus oil to my scalp. Then I applied grape seed oil to my hair and put it in a large bun. My hair was still damp in the middle so I left it to dry.
My hair was fully dried the next day. I realize that I don’t like air drying my hair “loose” because it dries really big. Since I have many degrees of relaxed/texlaxed hair, some of it shrinks considerably. When I leave my hair to dry freely, some of it shrinks. Roller setting keeps my hair pretty stretched so the textures tend to match a bit. I also noticed some breakage when I released the bun. 🙁 The reason why I did the co-wash was to increase the moisture in my strands. I think I may need to include deep conditioning if I continue to co-wash during the week.
I also noticed that my hair is shedding more than usual. Typically when I co-wash I lose very little hair. I’m not sure why my hair is shedding like this. Off to meet my buddy Google for help. Do you know what causes increased shedding? Apart from tea rinsing, what do you do to combat it?
This is the second time that I’m using the Beautiful textures Leave-in Conditioner. It is very slippery which makes sense because it’s essentially water and a combination of several oils. I like it so far. I think I’ll give it a proper review once I use it for a while.
How was your wash day?
To read more healthy hair wash day posts, check out The Wash Day Experience.