25 September 2014
Hello! This wash day was a long time coming. I didn’t wash my hair for over 2 WEEKS. My hair was neglected. I tried to keep up with moisturizing and sealing but it wasn’t enough. 🙁 I was so glad to get some water on my head. This is the last wash day for September and the final Wash Day Experience theme is “Rolling Down The River”. This week is all about curls. 🙂 Here’s how things went.
(1) Scalp massage: As I mentioned before, I’ve noticed some dandruff lately. I started doing scalp massages before washing to combat this. Mixed about 0.5 oz of Vatika oil and neem oil with a few drops of tea tree and eucalyptus oil in my Roots Only bottle. Sectioned hair into 6 and applied it my scalp. Then, I massaged each section for 20 -30 seconds. I emphasized my focus to the front of my scalp because I see the most flakes there.
(2) Applied hemp oil to each section and detangled with 3 combs. I made sure to try to thoroughly detangle because I don’t comb through my hair on non-wash days. I expected to see plenty of shed hair and I didn’t want it there when I washed. That would lead to so many tangles.
(3) Applied a mixture of Organics by Africa’s Best Cholesterol and Tea-Tree Oil Conditioner, Vatika oil, Vatika Naturals Hot Oil Treatment conditioner, olive oil, and honey to each section and covered with cling film and a towel. I finally finished the Vatika oil. Yay! I kept it on for over an hour because I got distracted watching movies.
(4) Washed 3 times with Carols Daughter Transitioning 1-2-3 Purifying Lo-poo Cleanser because I wanted to get all the dirt and build-up out. I’m trying to finish up some products to lessen my stash. The shampoo is pretty good but I still prefer the Creme of Nature Shampoo because it detangles and cleanses well. Also, my hair doesn’t feel as dry.
(5) Sprayed a mixture of green and black teas + 1 teaspoon of glycerin on my scalp and hair and poured the excess on my head and allowed it to sit for about 10 minutes.
(6) Added Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-Breakage Strengthening Deep Conditioner to ends, edges, and nape. I noticed some broken strands while moisturizing recently. I wanted to strengthen those areas since they are prone to breakage. Then, I applied a deep conditioner mixture of Keracare Humecto, Creme of Nature Intensive Conditioning Treatment, olive and castor oils all over my hair. Wrapped with cling film and towel. Kept this on while I watched another movie.
(7) Rinsed out conditioner with cool water. Then I sprayed diluted ACV on scalp and massaged in slightly. This is supposed to help with dandruff too, Then I poured the excess on my hair.
(8) T-shirt dry for about 20 minutes. Then, I applied Infusium 23 and detangled. Afterwards, I added Creme of Nature Style and Shine Foaming Mousse to each section. I planned to roller set and keep the curls so I didn’t want any heavy leave-ins to weigh the curls down.
(9) I attempted to do this roller set with perm rods but I had a tough time getting the rods to stay tight to my head. The rods were loose and I know that won’t give me a good set. Do you have any tips on attaching perm rods? Then, I used my regular magnetic rollers and left it to air dry overnight.
The wash day was pretty good and the set turned out well. I noticed a slight hold from the foam and it seemed like it would last for a few days. Unfortunately, it didn’t because I got caught in the rain and my hair fell apart. 🙁 I really wanted to use the perm rods but it didn’t work out. I will try it out again soon. My hair feels okay and I will try to make sure not to neglect it again. I think I want to start co-washing more because my hair is getting dry more often.
How was your wash day?
To read more healthy hair wash day posts, check out The Wash Day Experience.