Two wash day posts this week. 🙂 This wash day happened 12 days after the previous one. I usually wash my hair every 7 days so my hair needed a good wash. I did a protein treatment this week because (a) my hair felt overly soft, (b) it’s been about a month since my last one, and (c) I was hoping to relax my hair next week. It has been almost 5 months since I last relaxed my hair. This stretch has been much easier than the last 6 month stretch I did. I think keeping my new growth stretched and moisturized has been the key to a smooth relaxer stretch.
Here’s what happened this wash day:
(1) Pre-poo: coated sections with grape seed oil and detangled with 2 combs. Then, applied a mixture of Organics by Africa’s Best Cholesterol and Tea-Tree Oil Conditioner, Vatika oil, Vatika Naturals Hot Oil Treatment conditioner, olive oil and honey to each section, covered with plastic cap and stayed under my heating cap for an hour.
(2) Rinse pre-poo thoroughly and wash twice with ORS Professional Olive Oil Neutralizing shampoo. I needed to clarify and chelate because if the hard water situation while I was in the US. Also, my hair accepts protein better when it’s been clarified.
(3) Sprayed green and black tea (that steeped all day) and instant coffee (Nescafe) on scalp and hair. Allowed excess to drip for about 10 minutes.
(4) Applied Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute reconstructor focusing on my ends and my edges. I kept it on for 2 minutes and rinsed.
(5) Towel dried for about 10 min. Applied Deep Conditioner mix of Creme of Nature Intensive conditioning treatment + Keracare Humecto + castor and olive oil, covered with plastic cap and stayed under my heating cap for an hour. I allowed the conditioner to cool before rinsing it out.
(6) Rinsed with cool water and did an ACV rinse. Then, t-shirt dried for 10 minutes
(7) Sectioned hair into 4 and added leave-ins (Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer, Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-in Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave-In). Detangled in small sections with Mane n’ Tail detangler. Then, applied Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir to each section.
(8) Roller set and air dry
Unfortunately, I started this wash day pretty late and therefore finished late (after 1:00 a.m.). By the time it was time to detangle after washing, I was tired. Detangling was pretty tough this time. I think it was because I had so much shed hair since I hadn’t combed my hair in 12 days. I usually don’t comb my hair between washes so I had a lot of shed hair. It was a bit striking.
I tried the Beautiful Textures leave-in for the first time. It has plenty of slip but it wasn’t enough for all my shed hair. I still had to use the Mane n’ Tail detangler. I started roller setting quite late. When I started, I was using the end papers. However, fatigue was dealing with me and the end papers had to go after a while. By the next morning, my hair wasn’t dry. I kept the rollers in longer but they still didn’t dry properly. 🙁 I just ended up clipping it into a bun.
The protein treatment really helped strengthen my hair. It doesn’t feel overly soft anymore. It feels much stronger but it isn’t dry. My hair was pretty moisturized the next day. I didn’t need to moisturize it again. I’m not sure if I will relax my hair next week. I noticed that a section of my scalp was flaky 2 days after washing it. The flaking was at the front of my scalp where my hair is the weakest. I don’t usually get dandruff so this is surprising. I want to do some research about it but I don’t think relaxing it will help.
How’s your hair this week?