How are things? I had to wash my braids this week since I’ve had them in for about two weeks. My scalp was getting itchy and I needed that to stop. I used the method I described in my braid maintenance post. Here’s what I did:
(1) Separated braids into 4 sections and added diluted shampoo (Giovanni Golden Wheat Deep Cleanse Shampoo) to my scalp. I rubbed the diluted shampoo on my scalp only.
(2) Rinsed the shampoo and repeated twice, focusing the shampoo on my scalp. For the final shampoo, I squeezed the suds through the braided hair.
(3) Rinsed the shampoo thoroughly and squeezed out the excess water. Applied diluted conditioner (Herbal Essences Hello Hydration) to the braided hair. I did not apply all the way down. Covered with a plastic cap and kept on for about 10 minutes.
(4) Rinsed the conditioner thoroughly and squeezed out the excess water. Towel dried for about 20 minutes and let the braids hang down. Water was still dripping about an hour afterwards. I kept the ends in a towel to soak the dripping water.
(5) I applied JBCO to my scalp to prevent dryness. Applied Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer (protein) and my braid spray (moisture) mix to the braids and sealed with my oil mix (grape seed, coconut, and olive). I applied the mix while the hair was still a bit damp. Allowed to air dry.
Having a protective style really reduced my wash days. My hair felt soft and my scalp felt clean.
How was your wash day?