Hi everyone. It has been a while since I did a hard protein treatment (Jan.) I’m still noticing some breakage so I thought it would be a good time to do a hard protein treatment with the Aphogee 2 Step. All in all, it turned out well. Here’s how it went.
(1) Pre-poo/Hot oil treatment: I used olive oil, Vatika Oil, and honey placed in an applicator bottle and heated with boiling water. Then, I covered my hair and used heat for 15 minutes with my hooded dryer. After I got out of the dryer, I detangled my hair with a wide-tooth comb.
(2) Shampoo: Washed three times (once with diluted Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo and twice with diluted Creme of Nature Argan Oil Shampoo + ORS Neutralizing Shampoo). I had to wash my hair so many time because it felt a bit greasy after washing it twice. I thought there would have been an issue with the protein treatment.
(3) Towel dried until my hair was damp and applied step 1 in four sections. immediately after I applied it to the section, I combed through to distribute the product. I moved quickly because it dries quite fast. I ran out of the product when I was applying it. Luckily, I bought some (with the balancing moisturizer) recently. I was able to find it in a kit at a local supermarket (Nobiru Supermarket, Anifowoshe Street, off Adeola Odeku Street, VI Lagos) and it cost 1,100 Naira. It will last me a while, considering I bought the bottle I just finished in 2010.
(4) Once the step 1 was applied and combed through, I sat under my hooded dryer for 20 minutes until it was dried and hard. I tried to get a picture but it doesn’t show how hard it was.
(5) I rinsed my hair with warm water until hair softened then continued to rinse until excess product was gone.
(6) Towel dried until my hair was damp and applied Step 2 – Balancing Moisturizer to the same four sections. Then, I placed my hair under plastic cap for 10 minutes.
(7) Rinsed with warm water and towel dried. Deep conditioned with KeraCare Humecto and used my heating cap for 30 minutes
(8) Rinsed with cool water and towel dried. Applied leave-ins (Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Infusium 23, and grape seed oil) and combed through.
(9) Put 9 braids in my hair and rolled the ends with flexi-rods. Left to air dry.
(10) The following day, I took down the braids and attempted to style it.
This wash day turned out well. I’m not a huge fan of my braid-out results. However, my hair feels soft and strong. I noticed fewer broken hair in my comb. I need to remember to be consistent with the hard protein treatments. I think I will do it every 8 weeks so the next one should line up around the time I want to retouch my hair.
When was your last protein treatment? What do you like to use for your protein treatments?