Another week . . . another wash day post. 🙂 My hair isn’t breaking as much. I’ve increased the amount of moisture by doing several things. (1) Co-washed during the week (2) Moisturized daily (3) The Baggy Method for a few hours every other day. My hair feels better but the baggy method made my hair quite frizzy. There is still some breakage though. I think I’ve pinpointed the causes but I will save it for another post. Based on some of the comments from my last wash day post, I really pared down my wash day and focused on moisture. Thanks, everyone! I’m 11 weeks post now and I’m thinking of getting my hair retouched over the weekend. I didn’t do a protein treatment because of the moisture issues. I will probably do one after the relaxer. On to the wash day . . .
(1) Pre-poo with olive oil for 30 mins with heat. Detangled with a wide-toothed comb to remove shed hair.
(2) Rinsed out oil and washed 2x with Creme of Nature Argan Oil shampoo
(3) Towel dried and deep conditioned with Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment and olive oil. I kept it on for an hour with heat. Rinsed thouroghly
I was concerned that there was some protein in this conditioner but the types of protein – Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein & Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch – are known to help the hair retain moisture. Over at Hairlista, they describe Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein & Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch as follows:
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein & Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch (normally you see these two together) – This is a naturally derived, unique hydrating complex offers a combination of moisture-balancing and film-forming properties that work synergistically to give hair better body control and a smoother, softer feel. Wheat starch, on the other hand, has a low molecular weight and are very hygroscopic (attracts moisture from the atmosphere). Together they penetrate and hold moisture within the hair shaft.
(4) Towel dried and sectioned hair into 4. Applied my leave-ins: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Cantu Shea Butter Creamy Hair lotion, and Carol’s Daughter Smoothing Blow dry cream. Then, sprayed each section with Mane n’ Tail detangler and detangled with two combs.
(5) Roller set and dried the hair with my hooded dryer for 45 mins. By this time, it was after 1 a.m. and I need to sleep. I slept with the rollers.
(6) The next morning, I took down the rollers and they were looking a bit frizzy. I decided to try a tuck and roll style, as recommended by Ghanaian Emprezz. (Thanks!) I was inspired by this style.
Mine didn’t turn out like that one but I tried my best.
How was your latest wash day?
Check out more wash day posts here: