Pre-relaxer Wash Day

EEK! I’m 25 weeks post. This wash day was all about preparing for my relaxer next week. It was a looooooong process. Here’s what I did.

(1) Sectioned hair into 4 and coated each section with Vatika oil. Then saturated each with a mixture of Emily Millionaire Coconut Oil & Herbs + honey. Covered with plastic cap and used heat for 30 min. I may not use Emily Millionaire for my pre-poo if I’m this far along in a stretch again. The herb particles got stuck in my new growth and were a bit difficult to wash out.

Pre-poo with Emily Millionaire Coconut Oil + Honey

Pre-poo with Emily Millionaire Coconut Oil + Honey

(2) Rinsed out pre-poo thoroughly and washed twice with diluted ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo and Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. The shampoo got very foamy and my hair felt very clean, almost stripped.

After shampooing

After shampooing

(3) Towel dried, applied Step one of Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment to hair in sections. While I was applying it, I felt some tangles that proved difficult down the line. I realized I forgot to detangle properly before wetting my hair. The protein treatment smells awful and is very sticky. However, it is very effective.

(4) I used blow dryer on medium heat and speed to dry the product. It was mostly dried within 10 minutes. The roots took a bit longer. In all, the total drying time was about 20 minutes. After the product has dried, my hair was very hard. It could almost snap off.

(5) Rinsed thoroughly to remove the excess protein. I did not agitate my hair during this step. I waited until my hair softened a bit and then continued rinsing. Then I towel dried my hair and applied step 2 (Balancing moisturizer) in sections, kept on for 2 minutes (as per instructions).

(6) Rinsed, towel dried, applied Deep Conditioner mix: Organics Cholesterol Tea-Tree Oil conditioner, ORS Replenishing Conditioner, Roux Porosity Control, Pantene Moisture Therapy, Creme of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment, coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, and glycerine and covered with a plastic cap. Kept on with heat for an hour then left on for another hour without heat while I ate.

After rinsing deep conditioner mix

After rinsing deep conditioner mix

(7) Rinsed. T-shirt dried for 20 minutes. Applied Giovanni Direct Leave-In and Infusium 23. Then I saturated each section with Mane N’ Tail detangler and detangled with two combs. It was terrible. The tangles I noticed after shampooing were there and quite thick. I had to really take my time with it and some I even had to cut out. I will always try to remember to remove as much shed hair as I can before washing. Otherwise, I will face this again. If I were continuing my stretch, I would probably do a clear rinse to help smooth my hair. After my last one, detangling was so simple.

(8) Applied CHI silk infusion to each section. Then, blow dried in sections on medium heat with tension method.

(9) Flat iron on medium heat, applied grape seed oil and wrapped my hair.IMG_1662

This was one of the longest wash days I’ve had in a while. I started around 3:30 p.m and didn’t finish until 1:00 a.m. I tend to move slowly and there were many steps. I knew all of this had to be done because of my upcoming relaxer. I decided to flat iron after reading what Kim at FancyFlairLady does. She usually flat irons her hair before a relaxer so that she can easily part through her new growth during the relaxer process. I think it will help me too. Since I flat ironed, I decided to take an opportunity to do a length check.IMG_1668

My hair is growing but my front sections are very short. I think I’m having too much breakage there. I am going to develop a plan to try to deal with it. I’m looking forward to see how my hair turns out after my relaxer. I am tempted to go to a salon but I don’t know or trust anyone else to do it.

How was your last wash day?