The weather in Abuja is starting to get quite hot and dry. My hair is getting much drier because of it. The other day, I went to the market. Before I left the house, my hair felt pretty moisturized. By the time I came home, it was another story. It felt dry and crunchy. No bueno. So, I’m trying to incorporate co-washing into my regimen. When I started my hair journey, I would co-wash every week. I don’t know what happened along the way but I stopped doing it. Here’s what I did . . .
(1) Sectioned hair into 4 and sprayed with water until slightly damp. Applied deep conditioner mix to each section.
(2) Covered hair with plastic and left under towel with no heat. Kept on for ~3 hours.
(3) Rinsed deep conditioner off then applied Herbal essences Tousle Me Softly conditioner. Kept that on for a few minutes then rinsed again.
(4) Dried with t-shirt for 20 minutes. Applied leave-ins and detangled with 2 combs. Sealed with Vatika oil and grape seed oil.
(5) Applied setting lotion and then roller set. Left to air dry overnight
(6) After removing rollers, applied Vatika oil and grape seed oil.
My hair felt really soft after rinsing out the deep conditioner. It may not be necessary to have the second conditioner. I lost more hair than I usually do during a co-wash. I’m not too sure why though.
My hair also felt soft after removing the roller set. I actually prefer these results to the braid out. If I had a hooded dryer (and consistent electricity), my roots would be a bit flatter. Oh well, I will just cope with it this way. I may just keep roller setting throughout this stretch. I am a bit worried about roller setting twice a week. I don’t know if all that manipulation will affect my hair negatively.
Do you co-wash often? How does your hair respond to it?